Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

I have 4 large tomato plants out back that have been a HUGE disappointment, until today. They produced very few red tomatoes but are now loaded with green ones that will never ripen. So sad. So I'm left with many beautiful green tomatoes. What to do... what to do. FRY THEM! I've always wanted to try fried green tomatoes and here was my chance. So here is what I did.

So first, I sliced the green tomato, salted & peppered it and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Then I mixed the batter.

I mixed about 50% all purpose flour & 50% cornmeal. I used FINE ground. I wanted to have a corn flavor w/o the grit since they would be cooked fast in a frying pan. Then I mixed in just enough milk to make a thick batter. It turned out to be about a 1:1:1 (flour, cornmeal, milk) ratio. Oh – and throw in a pinch of sugar too.

Now about the frying. I used rendered bacon fat I had saved from a spaghetti carbonera last week. I though… hey bacon makes everything better right? Turns out yes that is right. So I put about a tablespoon of fat into my fry pan & heated it up to really hot. So they sizzle when you put them in.

Dry off the tomatoes with a paper towel & dip the tomatoes in the batter until totally covered (you may have to glob it on w/ a fork) then put in pan. Fry until golden on each side.


Drain on paper towel. Salt & pepper again & eat!! Make sure to eat while hot!!


They turned out pretty good and were really easy! Great way to use up those green tomatoes!





No comments:

Post a Comment